26 August 2016

Ulaanbaatar/Ulan-Bator: Adapt or die!


Now that I’ve been in town for almost two weeks, I ask myself whether I actually like or dislike it. I really don’t think I can tell. What I do can tell though, is that UB is different and…it’s a MESS. If you have had the opportunity to gain travel experiences in Russia and Belarus like me, UB won’t be a cultural shock to you. Adaption is key here. Adapt or die!





Traffic:
The most terrifying thing about UB is the traffic. You’ll come across this the moment you’re leaving the airport. Streets are full as fuck. People don’t care about traffic lights, crosswalks, driving lanes and the least about pedestrians. It pays paying attention at ANYTIME at ANY PLACE. It’s simply lifesaving. 





Air pollution:
Talking about the traffic situation, it is obvious referring to the air quality next. Smokey air is accompanying you almost throughout the day, but first and far most at peak times along main roads. However, deterioration is yet to come. People like telling you horror stories about winter and the coal smog polluted air. I’m sure I can tell you about this in further detail at another point. :)



Being “different”:
It can take you quite a while to arrange yourself with being different from the rest. It’s not that people stare at you, since indeed Mongolia is somewhat a touristic spot. But they notice you’re different. I don’t feel like a stranger, but sometimes I feel observed, and it makes me wanna know what they think while they observe me.



Food
UB offers everything you need: Italian, Chinese, Korean (tons), Japanese, French, American, German, Indian and of course Mongolian cuisine. It’s cheap. It’s good. It’s plenty. Finding your food in grocery stores is actually easy as well. Although, it’ll save you pennies, if you take the time trying and comparing different places. You’ll find a lot of German and Russian products next to the Mongolian ones. Mind the best before date, though. You may find milk and yoghurt that’s been far beyond expiry date. Prices vary, such as quality.





Language
Another question that I’ve been asked frequently was: “What language do they speak there?” The answer is Mongolian! You can put Russian, English or sometimes even German in brackets. But usually it’s just Mongolian. Cyrillic script skills help you a lot here but they won’t help you getting the sense out of words in case your skills come from Russian lessons (like in my case). 


No comments:

Post a Comment